The ‘MC pants’ were originally named for their ‘Multi-Cultural’ ethnicity but as they came into their own I soon realised that they also liked to own the room, announce themselves to the world and be their own ‘Master of Ceremonies’. So without further ado, I present the MC pants… ta da!
I started life a long time ago in a pattern making class at Studio Faro. But as a well fitting block and calico toile, I sat in the sewing pile waiting to be made into something special. You see, Mary is (was?) a bit scared of sewing pants. And designing a pair from scratch?! All those bits and pieces of flies, and fly shields and pockets and pocket facings and waist bands…Heaven forbid. But I’ve gotta give the girl credit, after a successful Me-Made-May, she realised that she needed more pants in her life because otherwise how would be she make it through winter? So she got out the ol’ pants block and got going on turning it into a real pair of pants. The idea was that the shape of the toile would stay pretty much as is but with a proper waist band, pockets, fly etc.
A lot of research went into how to cut and sew a fly in pants. This tutorial from Notes from a Mad House Wife was particularly helpful. And the Sewaholic Thurlow sew alongs also provided guidance. Finally the pattern was ready and it was time for the fabric. And this is where my Multi-Cultural ethnicity comes in. You see, Mary had her eye on some tartan and had figured it was time to try her hand at that. But a pure Scottish lass, I was not to be. So she had to add some red Xhosa Shwe Shwe into the mix as the contrast on the waist band and pocket inserts. Quite an ecclectic mix but I think it works. The pocket bags were a bit of left over lining from the Ziggi jacket. The button is a self-covered button made from one of those kits and a bit of the contrast fabric – I have my doubts as to how it will survive the wash.
With Mary’s new-found overlocking skills, I can even expose my insides to the world to show the neatly finished seams…aahh bliss.
Oh and please note the piping around the pockets…gotta love piping. That idea was almost thrown out the window because it was ANOTHER step in this already long complicated process. But Sew Maris’s timely tutorial on piping reminded Mary that piping really does add that extra zing. She put piping on her first pair of pants so why shouldn’t I get it too?!
The legs of the pants did turn out to be rather wide as the original pants block for the legs wasn’t altered at all. This does pose the risk of people mistaking me for pajama pants but with red shoes it’s more likely people think I’m clown pants! But it’s all good. With a good fit around the hips and butt, I rock the tartan.
Thanks for listening folks and I’m sure I’ll see you around because I think I’m gonna get out a LOT.”
Phew she had a lot to say!
Pattern: Self drafted ‘MC pants’ pattern
Fabric: Cotton Poly (I think) Tartan from a Marrickville fabric store for a steal, Red Shwe Shwe from Fabric World in Cape Town, left over lining from the Ziggi jacket
Alterations: This WAS the alteration
Do it again: Yup – this was v.1. The next ones need to be a bit narrower I think
Thanks for joining me. I’d love to hear from you.